Friday, October 5, 2012

It's Official!

It's official: I passed my background check and I am now the Director of Residence Life at Centenary College.  I will be heading up to Jersey on Monday, stuff gets there Wednesday, and I start work on the next Monday.

Life is so strange.  I've been applying to jobs for 9 months.  I applied to 170 positions.  Had 8 on campus interviews, turned down two on-campus interviews, and did over 30 phone interviews.  I've been so frustrated.  It has felt like I was putting so much time and effort and money into applications and interviews and getting nowhere.  Many of the institutions didn't even bother to follow up with me after I interviewed with them.  Then, all of the sudden, in the last two weeks I've been offered three jobs!  One of the jobs was at an institution which I was less than impressed with but turning the job down was hard.  I knew I would be miserable but it was a job offer and I felt like I was taking a huge risk by turning it down.  Then the situation with Centenary was frustrating because they took so long with the background check and reference check process (who offers a job before they check references?).  The other job... uh...that's hard.  I loved that school just as much as I loved Centenary.  The people there were so amazing...and the job is less responsibility than the one at Centenary...but the pay isn't really enough to live on so I'm having to turn them down.  I hate it because they really were amazing.   But I think that New Jersey and Centenary is where I'm supposed to be.  

I'm nervous because this position has a lot more responsibility than anything I've done before.  I do have a professional staff to work with though, which I think will make a huge difference.  The staff seemed great and I'm excited to get to know them.  I'm excited for the challenge.  I'm excited to see what can happen...

Well, I should go start packing but I think I'm going to read for a bit.  Packing can wait :)

No comments:

Post a Comment